Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Is Here!

Summer is here. How do I know it’s here? Let me count the ways ….

1. Having three mosquito bites on one leg and two on the other. Is it the scent of the soap or lotion or am I just a good target for these little vampires?

2. Having to wear real shoes when flip flops are much more comfortable.

3. Being hissed at and scolded by the cats when the door to the deck is closed after the early morning coolness has worn off.

4. Seeing the potted plants on the deck beg for a drink by hanging their heads most pitifully. Thirsty little beggars, they are.

5. Meals of meat and potatoes sounded so good in the winter, but they have lost their appeal when the thermometer reaches 90 degrees.

6. Thinking of 101 reasons to skip the gym, number one being opening the car door to 125 degrees heat hitting me in the face when I already glisten and glow and have the scent of dirty socks after an hour of exercise.

7. Listening to the neighbor train his dogs outside, using his loud, Chicago voice, and refraining from complaining.

8. Feeling the dry, prickly grass on my bare feet as I gingerly make my way to turn on the water sprinkler.

9. Having to iron because all of my summer clothes are 100% cotton.

10. Having a new book to read and a tall glass of sweet tea to enjoy as I curl up in my favorite chair.

No comments: