Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day To My Daughter

Caroline and McKayla Bohanna, Easter 2006, Charleston, SC
Once a year we pause to thank our mothers for all they have done for us. My mother passed away almost three years ago and I still miss her. One of the things I miss the most is her validation of my role as a mother. She was quick to praise and hesitant to criticize and she was so proud of her grandchildren. This year, however, I want to pay tribute to another mother, who is also very special. She is a young, busy mother who has little time for herself, but always has time to spend with her daughter. This very special mother is my daughter, my first born child, the one who captured my heart as an infant with her wide awake blue eyes and crooked smile. It was amazing watching her grow from toddler to teenager - this book-devouring, basketball-dribbling sprite of a child. Life with her was never dull. We always knew she was special as she never wanted to do anything with her life but work with mentally challenged children. This field requires great care and compassion - qualities she has in abundance. She has been a teacher for many years now and still has the same concern for her students. But most importantly, she is a mother now and it seems she has inherited the loving characteristics of her grandmother. So, on this Mother’s Day, I want to honor not only my mother, A. Lavern Croft Joyce Workman, but also my daughter, McKayla Ann Jerome Bohanna, - both very special people.

Published 9 May 2009, Rambling Thoughts - Out of My Mind, Brenda Joyce Jerome

No comments: