Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

After a 500 mile drive, my family is here for Thanksgiving. As I wait for them to arrive, I know that I can not go about my regular routine and remain above the concern about where they are, if there is a lot of traffic and when they will arrive so I usually plan a marathon of baking. It relieves my stress and provides them with some of Mom's cooking. All of us are winners.

After the flurry of bringing in suitcases, hugs and how are you's, we all settle down to catch up with each other. Since we talk almost every day you would think we knew everything going on in each other's lives, but there are so many things that can't be expressed over the phone or by email - a smile, a chuckle, an arm around the shoulder.

Tonight the travelers are either in bed or shortly will be. The television is off and the house is quiet again. While I love the noise of my family, I love more the peace that comes from knowing they are once more safe and where I can see and touch them at will.

No comments: