Thursday, November 20, 2008

Lists to Make

There is one purpose to this blog: having a place to record my thoughts and opinions, which are many and varied. I've found that as I get older, my thoughts sometimes go in many different directions at once. Maybe this blog will help keep track of them and determine which are new thoughts and which are old ones rehashed. If they turn out to be rehashed thoughts, I'll just put them on my list of thoughts not to be thought again. Right?

I'm a list maker. I make lists on the backs of used envelopes, on pads of paper, on the computer and in my head. The problem is those lists never get beyond the "making" part. My grocery list remains on the kitchen counter, the used envelope list lies neglected under more current lists and the lists on the computer and in my head are soon forgotten. Is it worthwhile to make a list? I don't know, but I keep on doing it.

Heading my list of the three foods I must have is peanut butter, followed by cheese (preferably string cheese) and then yogurt. Peanut butter is my personal comfort food. I remember being allowed, as a child, to have a spoonful of peanut butter as a treat before bedtime so I guess peanut butter is tied up with my childhood memories. String cheese is just plain fun to eat! Pulling if off, string by string, allows me to play with my food in an acceptable way. I don't think anyone really likes yogurt. Those commercials lie. Yogurt is nothing more than curdled milk and who really wants to eat that? BUT, you feel good when it's finished because it is supposed to be good for you. So, that is my list of "must have" foods. If I made a list of "really, really good foods," yogurt wouldn't be on the list.

I go to an exercise class twice a week and sometimes a yoga class another day. None of the class members will ever see 50 again. We all have our aches and pains, but there is one lady who is a pain all by herself. She is 76, has no wrinkles and wears spandex shorts. Spandex! Can you believe it? And she eats funny too. One day I heard her say her favorite meal was yogurt and a pear. She didn't even mention peanut butter. I don't like her.

So, that's what I have been thinking this late fall afternoon. Maybe I'll think again soon.

No comments: